A Development Permit is required for any development within the RM of McKillop. Please be aware that the approval process could take 2-3 weeks. If you have more questions please contact the office or our Development Officer email@example.com. Also, you will be invoiced for any extra building inspections, not including your initial Building Permit Fee.
There may be Planning fees associated with your development. Planning deals with "Land Use", for example a subdivision would require a review by a Professional Planner. The RM does not have a professional planner on staff so it is contracted out and those costs are born by the developer and/or land owner and they will be invoiced for them. These costs can be anywhere from $150-$200/hr, the more complicated the development, the more costs will be incurred for Planning.
**BUYER BEWARE – Ensure that the previous owner provides all Inspection Reports pertaining to your property at time of purchase. When the RM is advised of Construction on a property by the Bylaw Enforcement Officer or The Building Official, we review our records to determine if a Permit has been submitted and approved. If there are structures that were started without an approved permit, the current owner is advised that they must submit a Development and Building Permit. you, the buyer and current owner, will be responsible for those costs.**
***Please note, that as per Part 4, Section 16, Subsection 9 & 10 of The Construction Codes Act, unpaid permit fees can be transferred to your taxes. All building requirements remain with the land and therefore the current title holder.***
Development and Building Permits
A DEVELOPMENT PERMIT (INFORMATON REQUIRED TO ENSURE ANY CONSTRUCTION IS IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE RM OF MCKILLOP ZONING BYLAW) MUST BE APPROVED BY THE DEVELOPMENT OFFICER. WHEN APPROVAL HAS BEEN OBTAINED FOR DEVELOPMENT, THEN A BUILDING PERMIT APPLICATION MUST BE SUBMITTED AND APPROVED PRIOR TO CONTSTRUCTION COMMENCEMENT.
The previous UBAS Act has been replaced with the Construction Code Act, effective January 1st, 2022. It Is Required By Law That The RM Of McKillop Administer And Enforce The Provincial Government’s New Construction Code Act. Please read the following regulations and requirements in effect for the RM of Mckillop when commencing development. For further information please call the Development Officer at 306-725-3258.
- Development and Building Permits along with required documents are preferred to be provided electronically. If there is no access to a computer, they can be brought in or mailed to our office.
- All required documents must be included with a permit package at time of submission to ensure the package is not immediately rejected.
- as per Section 9.2 of the Building Bylaw #297-2018, a Geotechnical report prepared by a registered engineer specific to the site described in a permit or permit application, dated and signed within twelve (12) months of submission of the building permit application, shall be submitted to the local authority by the property owner along with the building permit application documents for all building permit applications involving an disturbance of the ground for purposes of installing any type of building foundation within 411.5 meters (1350 ft) of a water body or waterway. A Site-specific GEO-Tech may include current and all future structures to eliminate the potential costs of obtaining a GEO-Tech Report for each build. Any GEO-Tech report should also include elevation requirements.
- Development permits expire if development does not commence within 6 months of approval date.
- A Building Permit can only be issued if preceded by any approved Development Permit Application,
- Building permits expire:
- if not commenced within 6 months of approval date.
- after 48 months after approval date.
- If work is suspended for a period of six months; or
- If work is suspended for a period of longer than six months by prior written agreement of the local authority of its authorized representative.
- An extension may be granted at the Development Officers approval.
- Structures under 108ft2 require a development permit but do not require a development fee.
- Structures under 108ft2 do not require a building permit.
- All structures 108ft2 and over require a development and building permit.
- A Garage is permitted on a lot without a permanent principal Dwelling if a $5000 deposit has been paid to the RM to ensure a principal building will be built within 5years of the garage being built. Development and building permits for the principal dwelling must be obtained within the 5years or the deposit is forfeit.
- One Shed (accessory building up to 150ft2) is permitted on a lot without a permanent primary residence. A Development Permit is required for any shed but a Building Permit is also required if the shed is over 108ft2.
- A minor variance if 10% can be requested by way of Variance Request Application with approval provided by the Development Officer.
- A surveyor’s Real Property Report must be submitted once the foundation is complete.
No one owns the waterfront or beaches, they are all Crown land and as such require permits and licenses for development. For more information please see the following link: